DATA & ANALYTICS TRAINING
We prepare employees for technical excellence.
Shop for Training Classes
Cresco offers a wide selection of self-paced training classes that you may purchase and finish on your own schedule. These courses are offered in partnership with the LearnQuest and are excellent ways to gain new skills or enhance those you already have.
We offer training solutions developed by subject-matter experts to help organizations and individuals increases their skill an competence using technology tools. Cresco offers product training services tailored to your organization’s specific needs. Whether you need online training or a customized onsite visit, we are here to help.
Generic or Customized
Based on our extensive experience working with IBM Business Analytics tools, we’ve designed learning paths for all products. Our learning paths emphasize the most important elements you will actually use on a daily basis, with videos created by our award-winning, certified trainers. Even though the path is generic, our trainers are available to answer any specific questions you may have about the IBM product and how it works in your organization. In our customized path, our trainers will work with you to craft a training plan that matches all the goals you have for your users.
Remote or Onsite
Our remote training consists of live, instructor-led courses for IBM analytics tools already in place at your organization. Users will work with real data to answer real questions and solve real problems. Our onsite training is board-room style, with certified instructors whose years of consulting experience makes them extremely valuable resources for your firm.
IBM Cognos Analytics for Consumers will teach consumers how to access content, use reports, create dashboards, and personalize the appearance of IBM Cognos Analytics portal. This course is an introduction to the Cognos Analytics environment. The class will introduce the key concepts of business analytics as well as introduce the tools in the Cognos product set and discuss how the tools are used to provide insight to the company. The class will also introduce the participants to the Cognos Analytics web portal and will demonstrate, with hands on examples, how consumers can run reports, set properties, schedule reports, create jobs, create report views, and navigate through the Cognos Analytics environment
- Accessing content in IBM Cognos Analytics
- Working with report output
- Using dashboard reports
- 8 Hours
- All users
This course provides participants with a highlevel overview of the IBM Cognos Analytics suite of products and their underlying architecture. They will examine each component as it relates to an Analytics solution. It is an introduction to the Cognos Analytics environment. The class will introduce the key concepts of business analytics as well as introduce the tools in the Cognos product set and discuss how the tools are used to provide insight to the company. The class will also introduce the participants to the Cognos Analytics web portal and will demonstrate, with hands on examples, how consumers can run reports, set properties, schedule reports, create jobs, create report views, and navigate through the Cognos Analytics environment.
- Introduction to Cognos Analytics
- Cognos Analytics tools
- Common business analytics terminology
- Cognos Analytics web portal page features
- Toolbar options
- Navigating Cognos Analytics
- Searching in Cognos Analytics
- Managing content
- Running reports
- Report options
- Run history
- Report properties
- Report views
- 8 Hours
- Multi-role (consumers, business authors, professional authors, developers, administrators, modelers, project managers)
This course is an introduction to the Cognos Analytics environment for customers moving from Cognos 10 to Cognos Analytics. The class will focus on the changes to existing tools in the Cognos Analytics environment as well as introduce the exciting new tools in the Cognos Analytics product suite.
- Introduction to Cognos Analytics
- Content explorer
- Consuming reports
- Changes in report authoring
- Uploading files
- Data modules
- Data sets
- Dashboards and stories
- Administration options
- Migrating content to Cognos Analytics
- 8 Hours
- This course is for all users of Cognos Analytics who have experience with Cognos 10.
This course is designed to allow business users to create dashboards to analyze their data using the new Dashboard tool in Cognos Analytics. In this course, you will learn how to upload data or reference your existing data sources to build dashboards in Cognos Analytics.
- Navigating IBM Cognos Analytics for dashboard creation
- Uploading an external file as a source
- Open an existing dashboard
- Customize an existing dashboard
- Set the dashboard as the Home page
- Create a new dashboard
- Choose a dashboard type and layout
- Add data sources
- Create a tabbed dashboard
- Format, filter, and customize dashboard object
- Working with visualizations
- Linking and unlinking visualizations
- Customize the dashboard for presentation
- Add maps to the dashboard
- Save and add the dashboard to Team Content
- 8 Hours
- This course is for consumers, business authors, and professional report authors.
Creating Active Reports with Cognos Analytics is a course in which students use active report controls to build interactive reporting applications to create online/offline dashboards. Topics in the course converting to Active Reports, working with Active Reports controls and variables, using RAVE Visualizations in Active Reports, creating simple or complex Active Reports. The course also includes discussions on best practices for building Active Reports for mobile devices and dashboards.
- Discuss the value of active reports
- Examine active reports controls and variables
- Convert an existing report to an active report
- Review the various active reports toolbox items
- Build reports using the toolbox items
- Distinguish between filter and select
- Examine decks and cards
- Explore properties to use in active reports
- Examine master-detail relationships and decks
- Discuss best practices and guidelines for building active reports
- Design active reports for mobile devices
- Build a mobile report using slider and iterative controls
- Using visualizations in
- Review the process that should be followed when designing a Cognos active report dashboard.
- 8 Hours
- This course is for professional report authors.
The Advanced Reporting with Cognos Analytics course is designed for professional report writers who have previously attended the Cognos Report Studio or Cognos Authoring introduction/intermediate courses and would like to deepen their knowledge of building reports in Cognos Analytics.
- Building reports using Query Explorer
- Advanced Query Explorer techniques
- Advanced report customization
- Advanced Prompting
- Prompting in calculations
- Review Prompting API
- Drill Through
- Review the Report Specification
- Bursting reports (optional)
- 16 Hours
- This course is for report authors with experience in Report Studio or Cognos Analytics reports.
The Metadata Modeling with Framework Manager course provides participants with knowledge on how to model metadata with Framework Manager using Cognos modeling recommendations as a modeling strategy. Initially, participants will review generic modeling structures and techniques as a foundation for the rest of the course. They will then be introduced to basic modeling concepts and naming conventions in the Framework Manager environment, followed by more complex concepts and techniques to resolve reporting traps. Throughout the course, participants will model both operational and star schema metadata for predictable results, as well as create a dimensional model to be used for OLAP style querying.
- Identify the purpose of Framework Manager and where it fits in the big picture
- Prepare metadata
- Model for predictable results
- Identify common data structures and reporting traps
- Create business views
- Secure metadata to allow appropriate access by users
- Model a star schema data source
- Manage OLAP data sources
- Identify generated SQL for modified query subjects
- Identify generated SQL in complex queries
- Optimize and tune Framework Manager Models
- Use advanced parameterization techniques in Framework Manager
- 16 Hours
- This course is for data modelers.
The Cognos Analytics System Administration course is designed for individuals responsible for on-going administration of the BI system. Since the Cognos Analytics environment is different for every company, the content for this class is generally offered as a guided mentor opportunity. The instructor/consultant will work together with your administrators through your environment but will have a training environment available to demo and test the concepts covered.
- Detailed Cognos Analytics system architecture overview
- Hardware, software and network topologies
- Applications and services
- Data flows, memory, processing and communication bandwidth implications
- Security configuration
- Common troubleshooting tips
- Recommended maintenance
- Server administration
- 8 Hours
- This course is for system administrators.